Extra Pages

Sunday, October 22, 2017

Handsome Washam Drawings in Hair-Raising Hare

I borrowed a copy of the Looney Tunes Platinum Collection, volume three, from a library yesterday, because I'm too cheap to go out and buy it myself. I was watching Hair-Raising Hare, which is a really funny Chuck Jones cartoon from 1946 (I think), and I found some wonderful Ben Washam drawings in it that I thought I'd share with you!

These all come from the sequence where Bugs finds the monster in the wall.


Extremely confident poses. They're also more angular than many of Jones' animators, especially during the time. There's also some Ken Harris animation in here (thanks to CAP on the World Animation Discord for clearing that up for me!) that isn't as lively as these poses are, which is a little shocking to me.

Also, that background kicks some major ass.


Supposedly, a way to find Washam drawing Bugs Bunny is to look for this chisel tooth. I say to also look for these really clear and striking silhouettes.




A rare Washam smear! How many times has Washam even smeared anyway?



me irl


And finally we're left satisfied after what I think is the best-animated sequence in the entire film. This last pose especially knocks me out.

There ought to be more of these Washam dissections. Want me to find some after I finish The Hep Cat?

No comments:

Post a Comment