Extra Pages

Monday, October 30, 2017

The Hep Cat [part four]: Something new has been added!

Jesus Christ, I've been gone awhile, haven't I? Many apologies for the absence. Things have been nuts but have, thankfully, settled down a lot. Let's just see how long it lasts.

For now, it's time for some more Hep Cat, with a tall-ass glass of root beer and plain popcorn, just the way I like it! What's Clampett got for us today?





You're on to something there!




Great drawings. I especially love these circular pupils; they really drive home his surprise! The backgrounds, as usual, art astonishing. Something I just noticed: on this last painting, the sky gets darker as your eye moves to the right, but you would never see it if you were just watching this film casually.


Of course, he isn't inclined to give a damn when the action's this good. I can't say I blame him.



Don't you hate it when this happens?



Pay close attention to these next few screencaps. This is a basic setup for a take, for anybody interested in animating someday, like I am.

STEP ONE: realization

A take is a reaction to something, usually something bizarre. (Unless it's a shrink-take, which can be used more liberally.)
STEP TWO: the actual take

Now the cat realized he was making out with the dog. He reacts in panic.
This last part here is really just an add-on. A reaction to a reaction, if you will.
It's a fun idea regardless!


"Are you following me?" seems to be a very common Clampett gag. It's funny, but I figured I'd point it out. Besides, that dust drybrushing is very good, so now I have an excuse to point it out.

This is the same background! It's a vertical pan, and beautifully done. I wonder how many background painters in the business could pull something off like that today? It'd be a marvel to see.
This barrel scene is really pretty too. A lot of really lovely lighting effects. I dig it!


At this point, the cartoon is all about the gags. I'll share a few caps here and finish this thing off in the next post!


See you then! In the meantime, look at these backgrounds. I don't know if I told you whether I liked them or not. Besides, I'm out of root beer.



1 comment: