Extra Pages

Friday, February 2, 2018

Porky in Wackyland - more zaniness!

I'm not dead, I swear it! I resurrected myself to talk more about Porky in Wackyland. In my last post about this, I went on about its many revolutions it brought not upon only the Leon Schlesinger studio, but for the American industry as a whole, and in turn, also influenced some international sectors of the business as well.

So what's in store for us now? Well, more really fun and crazy stuff! It just leaks out of this cartoon like a leaky faucet.
It's a Warner Bros. cartoon. We need an Al Jolson caricature in there somewhere!


There were several cartoons produced after this one that made use of a lot of crazy things existing for the sake of a laugh, including some of Clampett's later stuff. One is Tin Pan Alley Cats (which actually uses colorised footage from this cartoon!), a 1943 Merrie Melodie, and another is The Cat That Hated People, which is a 1948 Tex Avery one-shot from MGM.

This Three Stooges character is an oddity to me. Also, what's with the igloo? Anyone have an explanation for that?



And some more cartoon violence. They really begin to nail this stuff around this time, and Warners' may have been the first ones to really do it well too, but I could be mistaken.
 Here we're given some frenetic acting in front of a strange-looking character.

Along with some fun cartoony stuff too! Also, is that a giant teapot I spy? So much stuff to behold, and so little time to observe it during the actual screening of the film.

I think this'll be it for now. I'm itching to write some about Tex Avery, but I'll continue this one soon enough. Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment